Friday, December 23, 2011

Epic Fail, Pt II

So I finally get an apartment closer to my job. Takes a while for me to get someone to take over the lease for the one I moved into over the summer.

Not having lived with most of this stuff all Autumn, I think it should take no time at all to load into a standard moving truck -- why, I'll probably have extra room!

Wrong....

While it is true I did not technically fill the inside of a 14-foot, 733 cubic feet moving van (there was space at the top), I did manage to take up a good 3/4 of the truck (around 550 cubic feet). And, it took 4 hours to load, mostly because of my procrastination over the last few weeks, not packing when I had the chance.

550 Cubic Feet is not actually a lot of space, especially for a soon-to-be 48 year old living by himself. But it's a far cry from the 'drown in a bathtub' scope of how far I had wanted to reduce my material footprint.

One area I had failed to consider: kitchen equipment. Pots, pans, skillets, crock pots, waffle makers, microwaves, plates, cups, glasses, mugs. Many of my boxes were filled with this stuff, and I can't see parting with any of it, because I use it all at one time or another.

Time to look at everything, again, while repacking, and find out if this goal is even possible.   --JB

No comments:

Post a Comment